Yang Xiaojian, known as the "Oriental Ink Beast," is an artist who challenges both native tradition and western influence through his strong and visually compelling abstract, calligraphic ink paintings. From calligraphy to text, from calligraphy to painting, and from Chinese tradition to western experiences, Yang's oeuvre crosses cultural boundaries.
Yang was born in 1960 in Taiyuan, Shanxi Province, China. In the early '70s his primary studies were abruptly halted and he endured the hardship of farm labor. He was subsequently sent to special schools for singing, dancing and physical education before attending a traditional secondary school and serving a short stint in the Beijing Military Area Command artillery unit.
In the late '70s, Yang manifested a strong interest in illustrations, artistic calligraphy and masthead design, and frequently copied calligraphy and illustrations. Under the tutelage of Masters Yan Jun and Yuan Xulin he studied the ancient calligraphy style of the Han Dynasty called Han Li. In the mid '80s, under the guidance of Master Tian Shuchang, he began exploring the cursive calligraphic styles of Yan Lugong and Fu Shan. Yang proliferated this cursive style and in 1987 received an award for his pursuit of self-improvement through independent study by the Taiyuan Labour Union. In that same year, Yang created a plaque for Shan Nian Temple in Anshou Country, Japan and won an award of merit in the National Hard-tipped Calligraphy Competition.
Since his graduation in 1989 from the Correspondence University of Chinese Painting and Calligraphy, Yang has received several accolades, including the highest "gold" prize in the Tianya Cup International Calligraphy Contest and 3rd runner in the Kele Cup Calligraphy Contest” (Both 1990, China). His works are featured in several collections and publications, including the Collection of International and Modern Calligraphy and Seal Carving of the 20th Century and the Dictionary of Contemporary Painters and Calligraphists.
In 1999 Yang established the Yang Xiaojian’s Artistic School and built his first studio Daming Hall, followed by the establishment of Blacksight Studio in the Moganshan M50 Art Zone, Shanghai, China (2005).
- Art Paris, Grand Palais, Paris, France Art Elysee, Paris, France 2015 LA Art Show 2015, Los Angelas, USA Palm Beach Art Show, Palm Beach, USA
- Solo Exhibition, L’Ecole Des Filles, Hoelgoat, France Solo Exhibition, Francoise Livinec Galerie, Paris, France France Segalan Poet Memorial Exhibition (Won the Segalan Prize), France Solo Exhibition, Kloster Marienthal, Cologne, Germany Solo Exhibition, Casa Pasquee, Lugano, Switzerland Louvre Se Mi Salon Automne, Paris, France
- International Calligraphy Exhibition, Wiesbaden, Germany
- Context Calligraphy Exhibition, National Art Museum of China, Beijing, China
- Solo Exhibition, Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, Kyoto, Japan
- Invitional Exhibition of Contemporary Art, 0 C Space, Beijing, China Invitional Exhibition of Contemporary Art, Song Zhuang, Beijing, China Solo Exhibition, Soukoku Gallery, Kyoto, Japan Solo Exhibition, Art Gallery of North Kamakura, Tokyo, Japan
- 2nd National Exhibition for Fashionable Writing Style, Contemporary Gallery, Beijing, China
- Exhibition for International Famous Calligraphers, Seoul, Korea
- 1st Exhibition for Young and Mid-aged Calligraphers’ Works in Shanxi, Shanxi Wenlian Building, Taiyuan, China Exhibition for Fifteen Nominated Famous Calligraphers, Jiangsu
- Traditional Chinese Painting Art Museum, Nanjing, China
- 3rd Exhibition for Couplet Writing, China Art Gallery, Beijing China1998 7th Exhibition of Calligraphy and Seal Cutting, China Art Gallery, Beijing, China
- Arts Starry Sky; Artistic Salon Exhibition, Shanxi Wenlian Building, Taiyuan, China
- Exhibition for International Famous Calligraphers in 20th Century, Beijing, China
- Galleries in Kyoto, Kobe and Osaka, Japan
1985 National Contest of Youth Diary” of the International Youth Year, Second Prize,Changsha, China
1986 Successful Self-taught Workers in Taiyuan”, Awarded by Taiyuan Labour Union, Taiyuan, China
1987 National Contest for Youth on Pen Calligraphy, Special Prize, Beijing, China
1988 Yellow River International Contest for Poem, Calligraphy, Paintings and Imprints, Yellow River Beilin (Stele Forest) Prize, Zhengzhou, China
1989 Calligraphy Contest, First National Pen Calligraphy Contest at Levels of Province, City and Municipality, First Prize, Beijing
China Shusheng (Master of Calligraphy) Cup for International, Third Prize, Linxin, China
1990 Tianya Cup International Calligraphy Contest, Gold Prize, Sanya
China Creation Exhibition for the 5th Anniversary of China Painting and Calligraphy Correspondence University and the Graduates
1987-1990 Prize for Excellent Work, Beijing, China
1991 2nd Tournament of International Cultural Exchange-Kele Cup Calligraphy, Third Prize, Beijing, China
1993 Honour of International Cultural Exchange, Beijing, China
2003 First Exhibition for Young and Mid-aged Calligrapher’s Works in Shanxi, First Prize, Taiyuan, China
American National Air Company, Chicago, United States
TONYCHI Consulting Company, Tonychi and Associates, New York, United States
Canada East-sun Group, Vancouver, Canada
LVMH, France Deutsche Bank, Elizebeth Houde, Germany
Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates (International) PA, Architects and Planning Consultants, London, United Kingdom
Art Gallery of North Kamakura, Kamakura, Japan
Old Fissure Association,Ltd, Kyoto, Japan
National Art Museum of Chia, Beijing, China
National World Financial Centre, Shanghai, China
Liam Jade Group, Taiwan